With summer upon us, it’s time to bring out the grills, enjoy fresher lighter healthier foods and including fresh fruits and veggies is an added bonus.
While the nutritional content puts this at 42% fat content, remember part of that is from the avocado and is a good fat.
Southwest Grilled Chicken and Avocado Melts Recipe
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
* 4 Anaheim or poblano chiles
* 4 boned, skinned chicken breast halves (about 8 oz. each)
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* Lime wedges
* 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
* 1 cup shredded jack cheese
* 1. Prepare a grill for high heat (450° to 550°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 2 to 4 seconds). Rub 1 tbsp. oil over chiles. Cook chiles, turning often, until skins are browned. Put chiles in a bowl, cover, and let cool. Seed chiles and rub off skins.
* 2. Meanwhile, rub remaining 1 tbsp. oil over chicken. Combine cumin, cayenne, and salt and sprinkle evenly over each breast. Grill chicken, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes total.
* 3. Squeeze a little lime over chicken, then top each breast with a few avocado slices, a reserved chile, and about 1/4 cup cheese. Grill, covered, until cheese melts, about 4 minutes.
Makes 4 servings
* Amount per serving
* Calories: 586
* Calories from fat: 42%
* Protein: 62g
* Fat: 28g
* Saturated fat: 8.6g
* Carbohydrate: 18g
* Fiber: 7.4g
* Sodium: 760mg
* Cholesterol: 150mg