Chicken & Portobello Fajitas Recipe
makes 4 servings
* 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips
* 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 package (12 oz.) flour tortillas
* 3 tbsp. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
* Salt and pepper
* 2 large peppers, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
* 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges
* 4 portobello mushroom caps (about 4 inch), sliced 1/4 inch thick
* 1 container (7 oz.) whole-milk greek yogurt, for serving
– In a medium bowl, toss the chicken with the chili powder and half of the garlic.
– Wrap the tortillas in a sheet of foil, place in the oven and turn to 350°. Let them warm while you cook the chicken and vegetables.
– Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1 1/2 tbsp. EVOO and the chicken; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a bowl.
-Add the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. EVOO and garlic, the frying peppers and onion to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring, until beginning to char, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
-Return the chicken to the pan and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is hot, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the chicken-vegetable mixture with the warmed tortillas and yogurt.